You guys I have been using this easy chicken pot pie recipe ever since I met my hubs. His favorite food is chicken pot pie and this recipe came from his momma. Now I had never cooked much prior to us getting married so this was all new to me. But this recipe was always simple enough that it turned out perfect each time. Now it’s also my oldest son’s favorite meal and I make it at least once a week. The best part is you can double or triple it and then put them in the freezer so you can get 2-3 meals in just an hour of cooking.
I featured this meal in my, How I feed my family of 7 for $85 a week post. You can make this meal for right at $10.00. Which is what I try to keep all my meals at. This recipe makes 2 – 9-inch pies. That’s 16 servings. If you check out my post you will see I do all my shopping at Walmart. We will be using all great value brand products when they are an option and I’m telling you it taste delicious. I have yet to find a great value product that does not measure up to the name brand.
We also don’t use peas in this recipe like most chicken pot pie recipes simply because our family does not care for them but you can add those if you’d like. At the very bottom of this post, I will add a printable version so you can just print and go if you’d like. Ok, so let’s get to the good part.
chicken pot pie recipe INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 cup chopped celery 9 (about 3 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped or shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped or frozen unions
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half or 1% milk (I have even used 2% and can’t tell a difference)
- 1 cup frozen peas if you’d like to add them (I don’t)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 unbaked pie crust
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- First, you’re going to want to saute your chopped onion, celery, and carrots in your butter in a large skillet over medium heat until tender.
- Once onions, celery, and carrots are tender. add your flour; stir until smooth. cook for one minute until you have a thick paste. I always thought I was doing this wrong because mine just clumps up in a big ball but nope just keep stirring.
- Add chicken broth and the half and half milk. Cook and keep stirring until thick and bubbly.
- Now stir in your cooked shredded chicken, peas, salt and pepper.
- You need to let it cool before pouring into the pie crust to avoid the bottom of the pie crust becoming soggy. TRUST ME LET IT COOL.
- Pour your filling into your pie crust. Add your top crust and poke slits in the top.
- Bake chicken pot pies for 45 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. let stand 5-10 minutes and serve.
Chicken Pot Pie Frozen Instructions
If you plan to freeze you can either pour your filling into a freezer gallon size baggies and label or you can assemble like above and cover with foil to put right into the freezer. To cook from frozen you will need to bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 40 minutes then cover with foil and bake for an additional 35 minutes until golden brown. if you used baggies for your filling just thaw it out some before adding to your pie crust.
Head over to my post How I feed my family of 7 on a $85 week budget from Walmart to see the price breakdown and other easy affordable recipes.
I hope you enjoy this easy chicken pot pie recipe.