We have all seen these cute little wooden signs popping up everywhere over the recent months. It seems every flea market, craft fair, and home decor store I go in, there they are. I have been looking for a while for the perfect wooden sign for my home but haven’t found any that have exactly the quote I wanted on it. I fell in love with this quote;
Love grows best in little houses, with fewer walls to separate. Where you eat and sleep so close together, you can’t help but communicate. And if we had more room between us, think of all we’d miss. Love grows best in houses just like this.
Joanna Gaines from Fixer Upper used this quote for a wooden sign on one of the homes she renovated on the show and I just loved it. For the area, I was wanting this wooden sign to go that would have been too large so I decide to shorten the quote to love grows best in little houses like this.
After a little Pinterest searching on how to make these wooden signs, I realized it was really simple and easy (my favorite things). Turns out I actually already had everything I needed for this project at home! We had a leftover sheet of plywood from when we installed our DIY shiplap in our laundry room so it was perfect for this project. This project didn’t cost me a penny but I estimate it to be $20.00 including your paint. I used this free font to create the quote in Cricut design space.
Ok, so here we go let me tell you how to make this thing so you can add it to your home decor as well.
what you will need
- 4×4 sheet of thin plywood
- white chalk paint. I used American Decor white From Home Depot (sample size)
- wood stain in your choice color
- vinyl quote
- small sawtooth hanger
- wood glue
step by step directions
- cut down your sheet of plywood to 2×2. then you will need to cut 1 inch by 2 ft strips to make your border around your plywood.
- paint your 2×2 piece of plywood white and stain your 1×2 strips. let dry
- apply your vinyl quote to your plywood
- use your wood glue to glue your 1×2 strips to your 2×2 sheet of plywood
- turn your sign over use your wood glue to attach a small sawtooth hanger. you’re done
You’re done. This project is so simple and cute. This DIY wooden sign may just be my favorite piece of decor in my home. Now that I know how easy it is I can’t wait to try some different sizes and quotes.
Please leave me a comment and let me know how your DIY wood sign turned out or if you have any further questions.