It’s December 1st, where has this year gone? I am in full on Christmas decorating mode. In my house, We don’t put up the Christmas tree or decor until today in our family.
I wanted something new this year for my front porch. We have a tiny front porch. Ok, actually just a small square slab of concrete and a front door and it’s just not pretty. I’m trying to get the hubs to build me a big beautiful front porch with a roof and enough room for at least a swing (future blog post maybe?) but for now, That is what I have to work with.
You know those mini trees in the planters with the pre-lite lights? they are so pretty and I would love to have them but they cost about $60 each! I can’t make myself pay that for something to only be used for one month of the year. That’s when I thought what can I make? after much brainstorming and Pinterest searching, I decided to make a this mesh Christmas tree out of a tomato cage. the best part? Tomato cages and mesh are cheap and easy to work with. I also added some ribbon and few decor picks (really not sure of the technical name for these) from last years Christmas tree. originally I planned to do one tree on each side of my porch but once I completed this one it looked perfect by itself. My mesh tree turned out so adorable. This project was so simple(my favorite thing) it took me about 1 hour and just $20! Mesh trees are a super cute and easy Christmas decoration that can add so much to your front porch or and any room in your home.
What you will need
- 2 rolls of 21″ deco mesh in your choice of color
- 2″ floral ribbon in 2 colors
- 1 package of pipe cleaners in color of your mesh
- 1 tomato cages
- 1 boxes of 100 mini lights 25 ft long is what mine was
- optional floral wire
Let’s make you a mesh Christmas tree
- tie together the top of tomato cages to make a tree shape. I used a rubber band
- cut 3 pipe cleaners into 4-inch pieces
- add pipe cleaners to each roll around your cage for your lights
- take your lights and secure with the pipe cleaners like in the picture (pictured)
- cut your mesh. You will cut your mesh into 3 different size pieces. Make a stack for each size (pictured)
- cut the rest of your pipe cleaners in 4.5 inch pieces. you should get 3 pieces per pipe cleaner (if using 13.8-inch pipe cleaners like mine) or just wing it. whatever works 🙂
- secure the pipe cleaners to the cage and twist just like with the lights, these need to be longer because the mesh will be thick.
- take 2 pieces of your 8″ wide mesh and lay on top of each other. you should always have 2 layers of mesh for fullness. you will do the 8″ wide pieces on the bottom then 8″ cut in half pieces in the middle and the 4″ pieces on the top. to form a tree shape. secure all your mesh to your tree.
- go back and add more pipe cleaner twist to fill in the holes were needed.
- cut your ribbon into roughly 10″ strips (they don’t need to be exact) pictured
- cut the ends of the ribbon to look pretty (pictured)
- Now take a pipe cleaner or floral wire, Layer your ribbon and pinch in the middle and twist. Then place them in the tree where you like.
- For the top of your tree, you can make a bow or you can use your strips of ribbon and layer with 4 pieces like I did and secure to the top of your tree.
OPTIONAL add some tree picks. I already had but it would be cute without them so this is optional.
I’m still working on my photography skills. Forgive me. It is so pretty. I’ve already got compliments on it today by my ups driver :). #winning
Please let me know how your turn out in the comments and of course if you have questions ask!